How Do Digital Radon Monitors Work?
PropertECO are official UK stockists of the Canary Digital Radon Monitor, a battery-operated constant read radon monitor that gives you both long term and short term measurements of radon levels within your property or workplace.
Digital radon monitors actively detect and analyse concentrations of radon within a building and display this on a screen. There are several brands of digital monitors available, ranging from basic models for homeowners to sophisticated pieces of equipment designed to be used by radon professionals.
Recent tests carried out by UK Health Security Agency (formerly PHE) place the Canary as one of the best well priced continuous radon monitors. These are our most popular monitors and they are purchased by those who want to see their ongoing radon levels, thereby providing further peace of mind. This battery-operated device is very simple to use and displays both short term and long term average readings.
A professional version is also available, which allows users to download results to a computer and produce a range of reports.
Another digital monitor which is often used by radon professionals is the RadonAway RS800, which records hourly radon readings as well as environmental factors such as temperature and relative humidity.
We can also offer sophisticated electronic radon monitoring equipment for professionals, including the RadStar GM1-2 and the Canary Pro.
Some important things to note about digital radon monitors are:
1. The monitor must be left in one place for the duration of the test, however, once the test period is complete and the results have been noted the monitor can be reset and moved to another test location.
2. With many models, the results will be displayed on the screen and therefore visible to building users, which may not always be desirable. Some monitors have an option to disable the screen for this reason.
3. In certain situations, a formal report from a validated laboratory may be required as proof of radon testing, therefore a digital monitor may not be appropriate.
4. These monitors will not give an instant result and to obtain a reliable result should normally be left in place for 7 days or more before reliance is placed on the readings.
Read more about our range of digital radon monitors and order online at www.radonshop.co.uk.
How Does a Radon Grab Sampler Work?
A grab sampler is useful for determining a pattern of radon readings within a property however should never be used as means of assessing the actual radon level in the building or to decide whether any action is required.
Radon levels fluctuate constantly, therefore a snapshot of the radon level over just a few minutes does not provide enough information to assess what the average radon concentration in the property is.
Instead, they are typically used as a tool to aid the design of a radon mitigation system once another form of testing has identified that works are required to reduce the indoor radon level.
A radon professional may take a series of grab samplers throughout the building over a short period of time to gain a picture of where peak levels are, indicating a particular source or pathway that must be remedied.
The RadonAway GM1-2 can be used to take a radon grab sample over a 6 minute period, and the results are displayed on the unit.
Samples are usually taken from within the room, however occasionally a radon professional may use the sampling tube to take a measurement from a suspected pathway, such as behind a dry lining or cavity drain membrane.
Some important things to note about grab samplers are:
1. Radon grab samplers should only be used by professionals with the necessary expertise to interpret the results
2. Grab samplers should never be used as the primary method of testing, rather as a diagnostic aid
3. A series of grab samples can be very beneficial when designing a radon mitigation system, and should result in optimum performance of such a system
Radon Testing Large Properties
If you own a large property then one test kit containing two detectors may not be enough to accurately test your home. Instead, if your property is very large, has a basement, or has been extended then you may require additional detectors to accurately test different rooms and areas.