In 2017 legislation was passed in the UK that looked at radon gas and commercial premises. The Ionising Radiation Regulations 2017 (IRR17) sets out compliance obligations for all commercial property owners to undergo assessment for radon in the workplace and, if a risk of radon gas is likely, then testing and possible radon mitigation works must be carried out.
The definition of properties that are at risk and require radon testing are as follows:
1) Below ground workplaces – these are any properties where employees would be required to spend time underground, such as in cellars and basements. The amount of time spent underground for radon to be a risk to health is as infrequent as only 1 hour per week.
2) Above ground – all properties must be assessed if they are sited in a radon affected area. The definition of a radon affected area is one that according to the Public health England (PHE) radon map is in an area where radon is present.
The PropertECO Tailored Commercial Radon Service
Here at PropertECO we realise that this can be a lengthy and time consuming process for busy business owners, especially those with large property portfolios and that is where we can help make compliance easier. PropertECO can tailor our radon service to match your company’s radon requirements from start to finish, with our specialists assisting you every step of the way to ensure radon compliance. With experience in working with multi site operation across the UK you can be sure that our systems and process are tried and tested.
Radon Risk Assessments
If the property has a basement then it will require a radon test, this is easy to assess against your records, however, for properties that are above ground each individual site address will need to be checked against the PHE radon map to assess if it is in a radon affected area. If you have only a few properties this can be done relatively easily by yourselves, however, if you have a large portfolio of properties you may choose to leave this to us. Our team of radon specialists at PropertECO can assess each property provided to us based on the property address. We can then compile a report informing you of exactly which properties will require further testing.
Based on the number, size and construction of the properties we can provide the required number of detectors to carry out your 3-month radon tests. We can tailor how these are provided to you based on individual company requirements and budget. We offer three ways to carry out radon testing:
1) PropertECO can dispatch all the required passive detectors to a location of your choosing for distribution and installation by yourselves.
2) Direct to each location: We can separate the detectors by property requirements and send to each site individually with placing and return instructions.
3) Radon Placement and Collection Service: PropertECO can attend to each property individually and place detectors for you, keeping detailed records of their location and placement dates then return after 12 weeks to collect and return to the laboratory. PropertECO’s Radon Placement and collection service reduces the chance of detectors being misplaced or installed incorrectly by employees and ensures all records are complete and correct.
The Results Explained
Once testing has been completed the detectors will be analysed by a third-party Public Health England (PHE) Approved laboratory as required by IRR17. We will then provide you with a report of all the radon results by property, highlighting any problem areas for ease of understanding. Any properties safely below the action level of 300Bqm3 will require no further action and can be re-tested in 10 years time or sooner if any changes are made to the property. Properties below but near the Action level, will require re-testing as frequently as every 2 years to ensure they stay within the safe levels. If properties have radon levels above the 300Bqm3 action level, there is a legal requirement to take action to reduce radon levels in the property.
Radon Mitigation Design and Installation
Any properties that are over the action level of 300Bqm3 should have a radon mitigation system designed into the property to bring the becquerel levels down to a safe level. Our Specialist Surveyors can attend to the property to carry out a design and mitigation survey. During our survey our specialist will carry out diagnostic profiling to ensure that any problem areas are identified and design a mitigation system that reduces radon in the most effective and convenient way for your business. We will then provide you with a written report detailing our proposal. Following your approval, our specialist installers will then install the radon mitigation system for you. After completion of the mitigation systems installation, we will carry out a further 3-month radon test to ensure that the levels are now safely below the action level and at a safe level for the health of your employees.
Our key strength is working with you, to guide and assist you in your compliance obligations under IRR17 and HSE.
If you would like PropertECO to provide a tailored radon solution for your business or need help and advice with IRR17 compliance then please get in touch with our office today on 01606 563042 or email your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org